Author Topic: Filter in constraints dialog Two Activities Ordered  (Read 99 times)

math

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Filter in constraints dialog Two Activities Ordered
« on: June 19, 2017, 04:33:41 AM »
Since I have a large number of constraints in "Time->Activities->Two Activities are Ordered" it'd be helpful to filter the list of constraints. I'm thinking of a drop down box holding a list of all activity names that defined as first or second activitiy in any of the constraints. When selecting such an activity name as filter, the listbox of constraints on the left hand side should only list constrains where the selected activity is either first or second activity.

A filter would also be nice in the "Time->Activities->Two Activities are Consecutive" dialog.

Liviu Lalescu

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
  • FET author and forum moderator
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Re: Filter in constraints dialog Two Activities Ordered
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 05:43:34 AM »
Did you see the filter in the All time constraints dialog? You can add there a filter composed of more options. For instance, add the first string "two activities ordered" and the second string "Math", then select detailed description contains both of these. Please let me know if this works.

I am reluctant to add the filter as you suggest, since there are a lot of dialogs and I would need to add in each one such a filter. Also, there is not enough space for this filter.

math

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 04:07:50 AM »
In the All Time Constraints dialog I cannot filter by activity name but activity ID. Since this is a number, a number of other entries is also visible. I think it's a bit confusing.

Most of the other dialogs have such a filter functionality. In the "Time->Activities->Two Activities are Ordered" however there are only two large list boxes. I thought that you can just make the right box a little bit smaller so that there is some place for a filter box.

But if you don't like the idea of adding a filter, I'm ok with that. You're the boss. :)

Liviu Lalescu

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 04:36:53 AM »
In the All Time Constraints dialog I cannot filter by activity name but activity ID. Since this is a number, a number of other entries is also visible. I think it's a bit confusing.

By activity name do you mean subject?

No, I think you did not see the whole power of the filter. You can do something like in the attached screen shots (using the attached .fet file). Please let me know if it is clear.

Most of the other dialogs have such a filter functionality. In the "Time->Activities->Two Activities are Ordered" however there are only two large list boxes. I thought that you can just make the right box a little bit smaller so that there is some place for a filter box.

Oh, you are right, indeed, in many other dialogs there are filters. If you cannot use the above filter in the all time constraints, I will try to make the filter in the two activities ordered, grouped, consecutive, and three activities grouped. Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:38:50 AM by Liviu Lalescu »

math

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 05:43:48 AM »
I have a "two activities are ordered" constraint, as you can see in the first screenshot. It's specifying that the lecture of "IT Security" has to be place after the tutorial (for whatever reason).

Now I'm adding a filter in the "All Time Constraints" dialog, defining "Security" as keyword.

In the third screenshot you can see the filtered output. There is no "two activities are ordered" entry but only for entries about preferred starting times of activities on "Security".

Only if I set the filter to "68" (activity ID) instead of "Security", I get the desired output, see screenshot four. I'm not allowed to make a fifth attachment, so I hope you believe me that I specified "68" as filter criterion.

However, even though it's possible to get the desired information from this filter dialog, it's not how the workflow goes. If I'm specifying the order of activities, I'm in the "two activities are ordered" dialog. And that is where I would like to check whether such a constraint exists for a given lecture, so that I can quickly add it in case. Leaving the constrains dialog, entering the "all time constraints" dialog, specifying a filter, checking the output, leaving the "all time constraints" dialog, entering the "two activities are orderded" dialog again and finally adding the missing constraint... That'd be a huge overhead, so I would be happy to see a simple filter in the "two activities are ordered" dialog.

Liviu Lalescu

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 09:16:59 AM »
You need to change the filter from "Description" to "Detailed description", as in my screen shot.

I will try to make what you suggest.

Liviu Lalescu

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 11:45:33 AM »
OK, I did it. I added a filter for same starting day/hour, 2 ordered, 2 consecutive, 2 and 3 grouped activities constraints.

I hope you can test the new facilities.

Please let's try to compile for Mac OS X on your computer, as we cannot ask Darren for each new test version. I would like you to test the new facility before I release the official, to make sure it's OK with you.

The link, as usual, on http://lalescu.ro/liviu/fet/download/test/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:48:52 AM by Liviu Lalescu »