Author Topic: Students Groups Issue  (Read 96 times)

mohammad-k

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Students Groups Issue
« on: April 08, 2017, 06:35:35 AM »
Hi,
I would be grateful if someone could help me.

I need to generate a schedule for Grade 9, so I entered all the major settings (academic year, days, periods, students, teachers ...).
According to the students list I have divided each group to sub group and I have tried to allocate courses with different groups to get a schedule of single course & multiple courses in one time slot (different teachers & groups).

So I have generated my file but the simulation was interrupted and I've tried to follow the Activity ID that FET warned me to check it, but i found no error with it.

I would be appreciated if you have a look at the attached file and see if I have made any mistake.

Thanks in advance,
Mohammad
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 06:49:38 AM by mohammad-k »

Volker Dirr

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: Students Groups Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 08:31:03 AM »
There are not enough free slots.
Please open the attached simplified file.
Have a look at students set "128##55".
You set not allowed times for that set. Overall there are only 43 allowed slots.
But you need 48 allowed slots.
so please allow 5 more slots and generate the timetable.
than please rethink why you need 5 more slots. i guess you mixed/missunderstood the way how to set the students structure or the activities.
i didn't check it, but you might have some more similar bugs.

Liviu: can't we write a check for that? i wonder a bit that the current checks doesn't detect this bug.

Liviu Lalescu

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
  • FET author and forum moderator
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 09:21:20 AM »
There are not enough free slots.
Please open the attached simplified file.
Have a look at students set "128##55".
You set not allowed times for that set. Overall there are only 43 allowed slots.
But you need 48 allowed slots.
so please allow 5 more slots and generate the timetable.
than please rethink why you need 5 more slots. i guess you mixed/missunderstood the way how to set the students structure or the activities.
i didn't check it, but you might have some more similar bugs.

He has allowed 44 slots (9*5-1), but your observation is correct.

Liviu: can't we write a check for that? i wonder a bit that the current checks doesn't detect this bug.

I think we cannot add a check. We already test each subgroup. In his case the subgroups are OK. I don't know how to check better. Even if you pointed the above error to me, it was difficult for me to see the error. This is a peculiar file.

mohammad-k

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 10:42:40 AM »
Thank you for your reply.

I have allowed 44 slots as Liviu said, and i don't want to allow more 5 slots because all the days that i have denied them there are non working days. So, i can reduce the number of activities since the activities in my example were the number of course's sessions. It means that if i have Course A with 2 sessions number, then i might have two activities for this course.

I have checked the students set "128##55" and i didn't found that i need 48 slots, this students set consists of 8 sub groups each need  maximum 44 slots to be placed.

I guess there is no issue with this students set because i tried to reduce the sub groups to 2 and the schedule was generated successfully.

And the way that I have set the students structure is by giving groups for course ids and sub groups for the students that will enroll this course. It might be a redundancy in sub groups but this for the different groups (courses).

Is there any syntax/ logic error  in my way !!

Thanks.

Volker Dirr

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 04:47:29 PM »
You are wrong.

just an example:
check 128##25 - 291 and 128## - 107.
you will see that this 2 subgroups share 40 hours activities.
but 128##25 - 291 have got 4 more activities (428 25-478). so you already need 40+4=44 slots.
and 128##25 - 107 have got 4 more activities ( 479 29-479). that 4 activities can't be at the same time as the other 44 hours. so you need 4 more slots. so overall 44+4=48 slots.
so you need at least 48 free slots.

maybe you want to allow 428-25-478 and 479 29-479 at the same time?! In that case you can't add the whole "128##25" to the activities. add only the needed subgroups and/or add a new group with the correct subgroups for this activities. if you fix that problem, you will need only 44 slots.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 05:08:06 PM by Volker Dirr »

mohammad-k

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 01:40:22 AM »
Thank you Volker for your explanation. You are right and I have figured out the problem.

Thank you Volker  and Liviu for your precious time and for your support.

Best Regards