Author Topic: assigning assistants to already scheduled courses  (Read 158 times)

marko

• Level 1
    • View Profile
assigning assistants to already scheduled courses
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:43:25 AM »
I have not used FET, but we have a very specific need and I am considering using it.

We get a schedule of (time- and location-assigned) tutorial courses from the administration. Our department then needs to assign its teaching assistants to those tutorials. We assume any TA can tutor any of the tutorials.

Every teaching assistant has
- graduate courses s/he takes her/himself
- a number of hours of teaching the assistant must teach

The graduate courses taken by the TAs can only be accessed by the TAs themselves (e.g. as a CSV file), but there is overlap among the TAs as one graduate course will be taken by many TAs. Of course, they will submit this information to the department for tutorial assignment purposes.

Additionally, a TA can at most tutor 2 tutorials back-to-back and the tutorial locations sometimes are farther apart than what can be covered during the intermission between hours.

I would like to know whether you think FET is a good tool to accommodate this scenario.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:10:28 AM by marko »

Liviu Lalescu

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
  • FET author and forum moderator
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Re: assigning assistants to already scheduled courses
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:21:26 AM »
In FET, each activity (one or more teachers+students set(s)+subject+activity tag(s)) is allocated to a time slot and a room, based on preferences. You may consider a TA to be an activity and a tutorial to be a time slot (an hour in a day of FET).

I do not understand too much of your message, it is difficult because it has a different terminology than standard FET. Maybe you can attach some examples. If they are private, you can send them to me by email.

marko

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 01:02:13 PM »
Thanks, I see a bit clearer now!

I'll attach some simplified data.

The file tutorials.csv contains an example list of the data I get about what I think in FET terminology would be activities although no teacher is assigned yet. The MEETINGS column has the time, the weekday, and the location, e.g. MATE,3171,022L,PRECALCULUS I,8:00 am - 8:50 am V PA 204 meets on Fridays from 8am-8:50am in PA204.

In the other files TAn.csv (n in {1..3}) are times that TA n is not available to teach any tutorial, because s/he is taking a course her/himself.

I think what you were suggesting does not quite work, because it seems I would need different time grids for the tutorials and for the times a TA is unavailable. Maybe I'm just not quite understanding your answer...

Liviu Lalescu

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
  • FET author and forum moderator
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 08:28:29 AM »
Maybe consider tutorial courses = FET activities, TAs = FET rooms, and assign FET activities to a predefined time and a FET room?

I am not sure I understand / we can take care of
Additionally, a TA can at most tutor 2 tutorials back-to-back and the tutorial locations sometimes are farther apart than what can be covered during the intermission between hours.
Maybe in a custom version?