Author Topic: Can't get rid of "Cannot optimize for subgroup" message  (Read 1053 times)

nobleinchina

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Can't get rid of "Cannot optimize for subgroup" message
« on: November 05, 2015, 04:31:54 AM »
Hi,

First, I think this is a tremendous piece of software and I'm really looking forward to getting it to work with our schools scheduling.

Please look at my file and see if I'm doing something wrong.

Groups:
Senior 1 - All Grade 10 Students
Senior 2 - All Grade 11 Students
Senior 3 - All Grade 12 Students

Division 1:
AP - Advanced Placement Students
CIS - Canadian International Stream Students
IHS - International High School Students

Division 2:

ENGLISH - (Various levels)
ESL
MATH
SCIENCE
BUSINESS
PE
DRAMA
ART
SOCIAL STUDIES
CHINESE

I've added subjects and teachers to activities, but when I create the timetable I get this: "Cannot optimize for subgroup Senior 1 1 AP ENGLISH, because the number of hours for subgroup is 100 and you have only 5 days x 10 hours in a week."

I know this is a common blunder, but I can't seem to figure out how to fix it for myself.

Also, I plan to add another set of courses for our Chinese side, but I first want to figure this one out. I suspect that it's something stupid I'm doing, but I'm completely stuck. I've spent several days trying to do this.

Liviu Lalescu

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
  • FET author and forum moderator
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Re: Can't get rid of "Cannot optimize for subgroup" message
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 04:54:17 AM »
You added 100 hours for the subgroup in question. See the attached screen shot.

PS: You used in fact 3 categories for division: 1,2,3,4,5,6, then AP...IHS, then ENGLISH-CHINESE. And please refer to the Grade 10...Grade 12 as FET years, so we have the same language :)

nobleinchina

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 05:01:54 AM »
Thanks so much for such a quick response! The thing is I don't know how I added those 100 hours. It must have been the byproduct of done other choice I made.

I don't know how to fix that.

Liviu Lalescu

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 05:13:23 AM »
Each (sub)activity of yours has duration 2. Should it be 1? If yes, you can use the attached file, modified automatically by me. You still have one error to fix (FET will report: Cannot optimize for subgroup Senior 3 1 Students ENGLISH, because the number of hours for subgroup is 55 and you have only 5 days x 10 hours in a week.). After fixing this, the timetable is possible.

Otherwise, I do not know either.

nobleinchina

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 12:10:15 AM »
Sorry for the late response.

Question 1)

I do want duration 2 classes but I still don't know how to "fix the subgroup hours". Where do I adjust them?

Question 2)

I'm trying to import activities, but the dialogue is stuck on "importing students". Am I doing something wrong? Should it take a long time?

Liviu Lalescu

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 01:37:29 AM »
Sorry for the late response.

Question 1)

I do want duration 2 classes but I still don't know how to "fix the subgroup hours". Where do I adjust them?

I don't know either. It depends on what you want. You could add more hours per day?

Question 2)

I'm trying to import activities, but the dialogue is stuck on "importing students". Am I doing something wrong? Should it take a long time?

It should work very fast. Do an export from FET and see the exact structure.

nobleinchina

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 01:45:22 AM »
You are awesome! I ended up exporting and reimporting carefully. I've been more careful with the subgroup structure . I was able to generate my first timetable. A long ways to go still, but I'm winning!