Author Topic: Help in generating timetable  (Read 450 times)

ReLo

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Help in generating timetable
« on: December 11, 2016, 03:25:13 AM »
Hello,

I am trying to generate the timetable using FET for the first time. Unfortunately after adding all the constraints and letting it run for over 2 hours no result was obtained. I tried to deactivate some constraints but no luck. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance  :)

Liviu Lalescu

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
  • FET author and forum moderator
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Re: Help in generating timetable
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 05:28:52 AM »
I removed all your space constraints, and removed the duplicate teacher Pa (why was it like this?), then I activated all the time constraints, see the attached file. It solves instantly.

So, I assume it is a problem of your space constraints. Please review them. Consider that a room can host a single activity at a time slot.

You don't need to wait 2 hours. Wait 1 minute, for your kind of data.

ReLo

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 06:22:35 AM »
Thanks for the response Liviu.

The duplicate teacher names were typos, I have corrected it in the new version attached.

I'll re-check the space constraints again; what exactly do you mean by "a room can host a single activity at a time slot"? Do you mean to say I should remember the basic compulsory constraint 'try to avoid rooms assigned to more than one activity simultaneously'?

Also, I have made all the rooms to be home rooms of all the teachers, would that be a problem?

Regards

Liviu Lalescu

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 06:41:51 AM »
I'll re-check the space constraints again; what exactly do you mean by "a room can host a single activity at a time slot"? Do you mean to say I should remember the basic compulsory constraint 'try to avoid rooms assigned to more than one activity simultaneously'?

Yes, I guess something like this.

Also, I have made all the rooms to be home rooms of all the teachers, would that be a problem?

I think not. But room MC1 is over-occupied. Please see the attached file - I deactivated 4 space constraints and it solves.

Room MC1 can only have 5*3 occupied slots per week, and you want 10+12 activities (for 8thA and 10thA).

ReLo

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 07:09:16 AM »
I think not. But room MC1 is over-occupied. Please see the attached file - I deactivated 4 space constraints and it solves.

This makes no room allocated for 5 activities (at least for the result I first get). How can I force the room allocation?

Room MC1 can only have 5*3 occupied slots per week, and you want 10+12 activities (for 8thA and 10thA).
I understood the second part, but how did you make the 5*3 calculation?

Liviu Lalescu

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 08:10:30 AM »

This makes no room allocated for 5 activities (at least for the result I first get). How can I force the room allocation?

You need to make a timetable possible. See below.

I understood the second part, but how did you make the 5*3 calculation?

Sorry, I meant 10thC, not A. MC1 is home to 8thA and 10thC, 22 activities in total. And these students sets are not allowed at the first hour. So only 3 hours x 5 days available.

ReLo

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 09:16:27 AM »
Okay, I understand now. Even if I remove all the home room constraints for student groups (essentially allowing to place any group in any room), the result is not obtained... Any other pointer?

Liviu Lalescu

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 09:36:04 AM »
Sorry, you have 6 days, not 5. But my argument was valid.

Now, you can generate for 5 seconds, hit stop, then see the highest stage timetable (from the FET interface). See rooms' timetable especially. Your timetable must be too constrained.

If you cannot succeed, I will try to help some more.

Liviu Lalescu

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 11:02:21 AM »
It is clear. You have 70 activities and 70 free slots from the not available for students. But, for instance, slot Monday 06:00 is free only for two students sets (10thA and 9thA). So you cannot put these two activities in three rooms.

Please let me know if it is clear.