Custom FET BP - block planning (Need help choosing a custom version)

Started by ChicagoPianoTuner, July 24, 2019, 01:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChicagoPianoTuner

I am trying to implement the last piece of my timetable and I am having trouble. I would love to hear any suggestions!

There is one subject, S, that instead of meeting in one block, it meets in two blocks. It's not simply one activity with duration = 2, because I wish for those meetings to be once in blocks A-D, and the second time in blocks E-H. When creating the activities, for the teacher and students, I create two individual activities. To restrain them to the correct blocks, I use set of activities occupies max slots from selection, one activity allowed in A-D, and one in E-H.

So imagine that FET places the teacher activities in blocks B and H. How do I ensure that students are either placed in both matching blocks or both in FAKE?

The one trick I came up with was to actually use duration = 2 and force the activity to start in block D, that way it occupies blocks D and E and this fulfills my criteria. This isn't such a big deal this time around because there is only one such course, but if there are more in the future, this will not necessarily work.

Liviu Lalescu

I think a customization/new constraint is needed for this.

ChicagoPianoTuner

Okay. I'm glad there isn't a way that I was missing!

I think this constraint also falls into the category of something that does not need to be implemented now, but may be useful for other users in the future. I just spent 5 minutes thinking about what this constraint would be named and the best I came up with was "pairs of activities are simultaneous when they occur in selected slots," but that's a very bad name.

I can use the workaround for now. Thank you!

Liviu Lalescu

No, I think the constraint should be "pair of activities both in selected slots 1 or both in selected slots 2".

Or maybe I did not understand your constraint. Could you explain?

ChicagoPianoTuner

You understand correctly, and your name is better. We are trying to solve the same problem, but you are doing it in a better way. I was trying to find a way for the two student activities to overlap with both of the teacher activities, which are constrained to occur in real blocks, or none of the teacher activities and thus be held in fake blocks. You were trying to make sure that the two student activities occur either in real blocks or in fake blocks independent of their association with teacher activities. Your way is much better.

Liviu Lalescu

Darren McDonald

Liviu Lalescu

Darren McDonald

The Mac version has also been updated to FET-5.48.0-BP, and is available here.

Liviu Lalescu

On Sunday, 6 December 2020, I released the latest version, FET-5.48.1-BP.

https://lalescu.ro/liviu/fet/download/custom/bp/ , as usual.

In addition to the usual updates from the official FET, I corrected a potential ugly bug in the previous BP version (FET-5.48.0-BP): the max number of days per week was limited to 35, not 216. I apologize and please update!

Liviu Lalescu

On Friday, 19 February 2021, I released the latest version, FET-5.48.2-BP.

https://lalescu.ro/liviu/fet/download/custom/bp/ , as usual.

Minor updates, ported back from the official FET.

Liviu Lalescu

Starting with FET-6.0.0, released on 17 April 2021, FET-BP is integrated into the official FET. Please use official FET (6.0.0 or later).