Main Menu

Recent posts

Dear Victor,

After a good night rest and thoughts, I decided to add these 8 new constraints to the official FET. I will begin work now, maybe in a few days I will be ready. I then will need to ask the 4 active translators for their help, and hopefully release FET-6.20.0.
Get Help on Your Input File / Re: Parameter to suppress gaps
Last post by victorcapel - May 17, 2024, 11:17:44 PM
Dear Liviu,

OK! Thanks for your help Liviu.

Last post by Liviu Lalescu - May 17, 2024, 09:57:21 PM
Dear Victor,

I will check tomorrow the code, or on Monday, and do the customization for you probably on Monday or a bit later. The constraints of type min gaps per real day will consider only from morning to afternoon. I think it is an easy change, and this is a bug fix/small feature change for you, absolutely free. It will be a customization for you.

The most elegant way would be to modify the official FET to include these 2*2*2=8 new constraints in the Mornings-Afternoons mode. This is probably simple, but long and tedious work. If other users/entities reading this post consider FET deserves a sponsorship contract for this or for other features, please feel free to contact me. I don't know if it's appropriate to talk about price publicly, but I can do this if it is.

Anyway, these 8 constraints will be added in the official FET TODO list.
Last post by victorcapel - May 17, 2024, 09:36:22 PM
Dear Liviu,

Don't apologize, I was the one who didn't notice this issue. It's not urgent, it just helps with scheduling because it allows for some exchanges that currently aren't possible due to a larger minimum gap being counted.

This solution seems very good to me: 'teacher(s)/students (set) min gaps between activity tag/ordered pair of activity tags between morning and afternoon.'

Sorry, but I didn't understand this part: 'If any institutions are interested in a sponsorship contract for this new feature, I will try it. Otherwise, I will add this to the TODO list.'

I will request another donation here for this new help. I don't know if this is what you were talking about.  :D

Last post by Liviu Lalescu - May 17, 2024, 09:14:10 PM
Dear Victor,

I deeply apologize for this problem. I think you lost much time until you discovered this problem. You assumed FET to be more intelligent than it is.

I will make you a customization, so that min gaps per real day will consider in fact from morning to afternoon only. I hope it is possible in the code. I am not home and on my usual computer. I will arrive home on Sunday evening, most probably. If it is urgent, I can try it tomorrow, but this computer takes 1 hour for a full compilation, and the internet is slower. Do you compile FET from sources? I could modify the file generate.cpp and email it to you, in this case.

The most elegant solution would be to add new constraints in the official FET: teacher(s)/students (set) min gaps between activity tag/ordered pair of activity tags between morning and afternoon. If any institutions are interested into a sponsorship contract for this new feature, I will try it. Otherwise, I will add this in the TODO list.
Last post by victorcapel - May 17, 2024, 08:28:24 PM
Dear Liviu,

1- Yes, FET will constrain the timetable more than it is needed; In my case the gap between activity tags is lower between morning and afternoon.

2- Could be a just a customization for me.
Last post by Liviu Lalescu - May 17, 2024, 08:08:07 PM
Dear Victor,

I have doubts I understand correctly your suggestion:

1) You need this change because your situation is incorrectly handled, meaning FET will constrain the timetable more than it is needed? Or it is just a cosmetic suggestion you are making?

2) I think we cannot make the official FET consider "per real day" for this constraint to consider "between morning and afternoon". If it is really needed (see 1), I could think of maybe a new constraint, teacher(s)/students (set) min gaps between ordered pair of activity tags between morning and afternoon. But the name is long, I doubt other users would need it, and I think and hope it is not really needed (see 1).

Or a customization, just for you.
Last post by victorcapel - May 17, 2024, 07:44:33 PM
Hello, Liviu.

In my point of view, we could modify the constraint of a real day to be just between morning and afternoon. This way, we could manage the gaps within the day (morning or afternoon) and between morning and afternoon.
Get Help / Re: How to get around "It's im...
Last post by Liviu Lalescu - May 17, 2024, 07:23:12 PM
You are welcome, szachariah. I'll wait, then. For CSV, I will need the students.csv and activities.csv (and maybe the rest of the CSV files, if you want).

If the initial file is private, you can send it by email and it will remain private. But I completely understand if you only want to send anonymous data.
Last post by Liviu Lalescu - May 17, 2024, 07:19:08 PM
Hello, Victor,

Indeed, per real day means that FET will consider for instance Monday=Monday morning+Monday afternoon, and check the constraint min gaps between order pair of activity tags for this whole Monday. This is how all the FET constraints for the Mornings-Afternoons mode for real days work. Think for instance of max hours daily per real day, or max gaps per real day. I cannot make, logically, this constraint (min gaps), to consider only from start=morning and end=afternoon.

I hope this is not a problem for you; otherwise, maybe a customization is possible, or we need to talk about the official FET modification, but I hope not. But your custom version worked OK before I added this new constraint in FET, isn't it?

Please let me know.