Custom FET with groups are formed by individual students (british curriculum)

Started by rhoouma, October 08, 2023, 02:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhoouma

Hi Team
Is There a solution for a FET solution where groups are formed by indicidual students ?
Shall I enter the names of students one by one for that.
As an example, In the college here in Oman, a student can choose to have courses from 1st semester and other courses from 3rd semester (or any other combination). So you will find his name in a group year 1 and a group year 2. the majority of students are not following the plan, some of them are late so they need to register in year courses plus their actual year courses. and some of them are authorised to register for coming semesters courses !!! it is a mess

what to do in this case ? this means we need to create a group for each course ! to avoid clashes between groups.
I feel that the structure of FET cannot be modified for these types of timetables. 
Please guide me on this matter

Liviu Lalescu

Hello, @rhoouma ,

FET can handle any institution's students' structure. Overlapping years and groups, but independent (nonoverlapping) subgroups, which indeed in your case I think will be individual students.

You can add them in the interface, but it is difficult. You can add them in the .fet XML input file, if you follow the exact structure, but it is again difficult. You can import them from a CSV file, which is easy - just export some example and you'll see how easy is to follow the FET CSV structure.

You might want to show us your previous years' timetables examples, for us to make a better idea.

rhoouma

Hi Liviu
Thank you for your prompt answer.
I have sent you via email the tmetables samples. They are private I cannot send them here.

I have a big issue right now. How to plan for exam invigilation ? How to distribute invigilators on subjects and on groups and  find the time and room.
So I need to find :
- 2 invigilators distributed randomly per room per group
- randomised time (2 or 3 slots per day)
- randomised room ( a room can have more than one exam if capacity of two or three groups permit it)

for every exam.
Is there a customised FET version for this specific task : Exam planning and invigilation ?

Should I create a new post for this issue or should I leave it here ?

Liviu Lalescu

You are welcome, rhoouma!

We can leave further talking here.

There are two approaches for you:

1) Say that an activity has exactly a set of students, a subject, and two teachers. You will use FET Official mode to put each activity in a single time and room. If a room is large, you might want to create 2 or 3 instead of a single room, but you need to think further of other tricks for this. Maybe you can use virtual rooms, but I am not sure. Please read the Help for virtual rooms.

2) Say that an activity has exactly a set of students and a subject. You will use FET Block planning mode to put each activity in a single time (days = real-life teachers and hours = real-life day+hour) and room. You might want to double each activity, so that it will be attributed to two teachers. You have a long Help for this mode and an example file, please check them.

There is no exactly customized FET version for exam planning and invigilation.

I am sorry that it seems you need to read much for your task.

rhoouma

Hi Liviu,
- The first approach dose not contain random assignment of two teachers for activities. I need to define an activity as <teacher + students + subject>. So this cannot resolve my problem.
- The second approach seems promising, I need to test it before I comment.
- So FET basically search for a time and a space given a set of activities where an activity should be defined by <teacher + students + subject>. There is no way to treat the <teacher> as a third output with time and space ? meaning I give activity as <students + subject> and FET will assign randomly teacher + time + space to it ?

Volker Dirr

Just a question:
You want to do that while the default timetable is still running (except of the year that has the exam), don't you?

Liviu Lalescu

Hi, rhoouma,

Unfortunately, FET assigns activities to times and rooms. So you need to use FET Block planning mode (if it works for you).

rhoouma

Quote from: Volker Dirr on October 10, 2023, 07:27:18 AMJust a question:
You want to do that while the default timetable is still running (except of the year that has the exam), don't you?

Hi Volker
Iam not sure if I have understood your question.
I need to use FET to plan for examination schedule. By distributing randomly two teachers per subject per students section. Say we have 7 teachers, three timing each day and 3 subjects per group and we have 5 groups. so i need 15 activities to be assigned to two teachers randomly. FET will give me timing and room and those two teachers. How I can force the activity to be defined only by <subject + students group> ?
Liviu has affirmed to me in another reply that it is not possible

Volker Dirr

hmm... and what are the exact problems/rules?
I guess each student group is allowed to do max one exam per day.
But teachers can have 3 per days and in fact there is never a room problem, since you always have enough rooms, don't you?

rhoouma

- In some situations students can do more than 1 exam per day (max 2 )
- we have rooms constraints yes, that's why we would like to join multiple activities in one room if capacity of that room permit it
- generally two teachers is enough for an invigilation, in some cases where the room is big (emphitheatre) we need more (3 or 4 invigilators)
- we need also supervisors for halls ( a hall can goup many rooms). Supervisors will supervise the process of invigilation and they are assigned to No room. Say in the college, there are 4 floors (or buildings). Then we will need 4 supervisors.

Volker Dirr

ok. So pretty similar like at my school. Except that students are only allowed to do one exam per day and max 2 exams per week.

We do it like this:
1. We set all rooms of a floor unavailable in TiTiTo. We select a quite floor (not located to the playground, so the students are not upset too much if the other students have the normal break time) and of course we know that the sum of the rooms is large enough for all studens that do the exam.

2. We manually choose (in fact we don't choose, our goverment tells us the exact times) where the students write the exams.

3. With TiTiTo we select an alternative room for the studnets that need an other room because of point 1.

4. With TiTiTo we can see the available teachers. First of all we select teachers with the correct subject for supervising in the room. If such a teacher is not available, then we just choose a random one with the correct subject and do the substitution planning as we do it with ill teachers (with TiTiTo). The other free teachers can do supervision in teh floor, ... There are always enough free teachers for this.

So we can plan this pretty fast manualy. No need to do this with a generater, since it is an easy task.

rhoouma

- Yes teachers can have more than one invigilation per day if this is needed.
- When an exam is conducted, the teacher which is responsible for it should not invigilate in that time slot. he should go and check for his paper and any assistance is required for his students taking the exam.

rhoouma

Quote from: Volker Dirr on October 10, 2023, 09:54:55 AMok. So pretty similar like at my school. Except that students are only allowed to do one exam per day and max 2 exams per week.

We do it like this:
1. We set all rooms of a floor unavailable in TiTiTo. We select a quite floor (not located to the playground, so the students are not upset too much if the other students have the normal break time) and of course we know that the sum of the rooms is large enough for all studens that do the exam.

2. We manually choose (in fact we don't choose, our goverment tells us the exact times) where the students write the exams.

3. With TiTiTo we select an alternative room for the studnets that need an other room because of point 1.

4. With TiTiTo we can see the available teachers. First of all we select teachers with the correct subject for supervising in the room. If such a teacher is not available, then we just choose a random one with the correct subject and do the substitution planning as we do it with ill teachers (with TiTiTo). The other free teachers can do supervision in teh floor, ... There are always enough free teachers for this.

So we can plan this pretty fast manualy. No need to do this with a generater, since it is an easy task.

Thank you for your suggestions and help.
I will look for the TiTiTo alternative