FET crashing on OSX

Started by math, January 13, 2021, 10:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

math

I have FET running on Mac OS X 10.15.6. It's the currentmost binary provided on Darren's website. When I try to generate PDFs from generated schedules, FET is crashing reproducably.

For generating the PDFs I select Timetable -> Print -> Teachers / Rooms / Subgroups -> Print

Now the default printing dialog of OSX shows up, where I can select a printer and specify additional parameters. I can also generate a PDF here by selecting PDF -> Save as PDF. When selecting this entry, FET crashes immediately.

If I select Timetable -> Print -> Teachers / Rooms / Subgroups -> Preview and then select "Print" in this preview dialog, the default printing dialog of OSX shows up again. But now I can generate the PDF by selecting PDF -> Save as PDF without any problems.


Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00001e46ae76db98
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [31825]

Liviu Lalescu

#1
Thank you for the bug report!

I think it is because of Qt 6.

I tried on my GNU/Linux openSUSE Tumbleweed. With Qt 5 everything OK. With Qt 6 I don't get a crash, but the pdf contains only void cells and I get on the command line this error message: "QPageRanges::addRange: 'from' and 'to' must be greater than 0". QPageRanges is a class introduced in Qt 6.

I filed a bug report to Qt: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-90241

Darren McDonald

I've tried to reproduce this on my work computer (running the newer operating system, 11.1), and I think I'm seeing something similar to what Liviu has reported: when I follow the "problematic" print method, FET generates a PDF with cells filled with garbage characters, but if I first Preview the printout it generates a PDF correctly. However, following the "working" method also produces a PDF file with garbage characters (lots of "A" characters with various accents, but nothing readable).