Main Menu

Dolphins schedule

Started by Paul the dolphin, October 09, 2014, 10:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liviu Lalescu

Quote from: Paul the dolphin on October 14, 2014, 02:21:04 PM
Hi again,

I have started trying to understand what you did here and I think I understand how to set the restrictions.

It can be easy, once you get accustomed to using tricks in the program. In the majority of the constraints all activities are implied, and a useful button is "All". Also, you can click on the table heading.

Most of the non patient restriction stay the same  so i wont have to edit them in a new period, which makes me happy.

I however don't understand the backup dolphin where you said only 2 or 3 will work, however you inputted for all 4 sessions?

The second constraint is inactive (begins with X - ). You can de/activate constraints in all time constraints dialog.

I tried throwing out all the "patx" and changed the "subjects" to "pat x" however it would not hold. I probably need to adjust all the time constraints right?

I think when you remove the students year you remove the activity. I am attaching a good modified file for you to use.

Also would it be possible to condense printable schedule to something similar as above, so that it displays only 4 timeslots instead of 9 times each one? In other words that the therapist is placed under the the pat and x-axis is tx=4 and y=dolphinsx?

I propose you the attached two files. One is directly available in the results (activities.xml), the other one - you need to export to CSV after generating.

To do exactly what you need might be possible as a custom version, but the idea is for you to use the official FET preferably, because you can always use the latest version.

I would be honored if you would use this problem as a general solution and example, however it is very important to me that in no way any reference is found to "dolphins" or in "dolphins" in combination with "therapist". I would like to keep this a little under the hood if you understand :)

Hmm, the idea was to show the exact use to dolphins scheduling (and show your above posts). Maybe in the future you'll change the policy - until then I'll respect your privacy (but remember that this forum is public).

For next period, I am going to try to input the needed variables myself and come back to you how it worked out. Meanwhile the people I work with are very happy so far. This basically frees up over 80 hours a year!

If it works out I am going to discuss donation possibilities with my superiors, do you have a donation site?

Thank you for your nice thoughts! This would be highly appreciated! The donations page is visible on the FET homepage.

Thanks again and i will come back to you soon!

Paul the dolphin

Hi Liviu,

I checked out the new file and works nicely! Also did the csv file and its was quite clear,perhaps a possibility would be to make an excel file that translate the info from the csv to the the appropriate format, I would like to do things as automatic as possible of course!

After the trail runs here I will speak to my superiors about formal disclosure.

Thanks again

Liviu Lalescu

It is easy to make a custom version for what you need, but I don't recommend this, for the reason above. Excel I don't know.

I could write you a separate program to process activities.xml into a nice HTML. The only important thing is that activities are in order, with the id of the patient.

Let me know.

About the constraints with weight <100.0%: you can adjust the weight as you prefer, as long as the timetable is still possible. So you can obtain better timetables. The preferred slots are processed so that FET starts generation having for each position the largest not-allowed value from all the constraints.

Paul the dolphin

As discussed I'd like to keep using the non custom version of FET.

If you could write an xml program that translates it into a schedule as discussed that would be great, i have no skills in xml at all. Would that program also work with the other "multiple timetable generation? Best would be that the xml program gives an html or processable file (like word or excel) with all the 10 option when the option multiple is used. Is that difficult/ time consuming to build?

Liviu Lalescu

Quote from: Paul the dolphin on October 15, 2014, 02:52:06 PM
As discussed I'd like to keep using the non custom version of FET.

If you could write an xml program that translates it into a schedule as discussed that would be great, i have no skills in xml at all. Would that program also work with the other "multiple timetable generation? Best would be that the xml program gives an html or processable file (like word or excel) with all the 10 option when the option multiple is used.

I am thinking. Maybe it is better to derive a custom version. Because probably there will not be significant future changes in FET algorithm (significant for you). And we can skip outputting all those timetables, and just output the significant one - condensed days horizontal. And this change will be made in a single source file - so it is easy to update your custom version if the official FET gets important changes. With only a button you will get the HTML timetables. Do you want all of them in a single file, or an index? (I refer to generating multiple).

If you want a separate program to generate HTML from activities.xml, it can be done. But you need to execute firstly FET, then this second program.

In a custom version, we might work on some constraints types, if needed.

In both cases we could make a simple space separated text file with the solution(s).

I am sorry if I keep on oscillating between a custom version and the official version + an additional program. I think now that more appropriate may be a custom one. I will begin working a bit later and let you know.

Is that difficult/ time consuming to build?

It should not be difficult. Maybe some time consuming.

Paul the dolphin

Useability would be highly appreciated so i think the custom were we the output is t1234-dolphins with therapist and patient in the grid is most favourable. However I will fare on your expert opinion on the matter of custom vs. regular version + extra program.

If there arent any distinct pro's or con's between index and 1 file and would opt for the easiest solution

Liviu Lalescu

I did it. Please get the custom version from http://lalescu.ro/liviu/fet/download/custom/dolphins/

Please let me know.

Separate files. I did not make an index file, because some timetables might not be complete. However, it should be easy to access each file. Let me know and we can improve if necessary.

Paul the dolphin

Hey Liviu,

this is exactly what I wanted! Why isnt this software markted throughout the world? It amazing especially the support!
I can't wait to see how it preforms next week in the trail session!

Paul

Liviu Lalescu

Thank you for the appreciation! It is marketed, as free software :-)

Don't forget: if the timetable still solves, you can raise the weight of the constraints with weight <100.0%, as you wish. Each slot will be not allowed with the maximum of all the values of the constraints. For instance, if the slot is not preferred (X) with 90% from dolphins/therapists preferences and not preferred with 95% from not preferred t4, the resultant is 95%. However, I am not sure if you can improve my data file - you must play a bit to check.

Paul the dolphin

my coworker Ricarda asked me to send you this:

Liviu Lalescu

Quote from: Paul the dolphin on October 17, 2014, 03:48:06 PM
my coworker Ricarda asked me to send you this:

LOL :-))  Thank you!

I have to admit I was a bit skeptical at the beginning, but when Volker answered and asked for more details and you provided that nice table, I began to think that it was possible.

Paul the dolphin

Hey liviu,

I have started with the new schedule and have run into a few problems. Can you take a look at it?

Paul

Liviu Lalescu

Maybe you could tell me:

- What did you change;

- The new requirements (those which are different)?

Paul the dolphin

So after a few tweaks I got this. I left out 2 patients which share a spot with one of the patients visible here.

Problems is, somehow im not getting dolphin 3 off in the first session and i cant get any therapist onto dolphin 2

Paul

Liviu Lalescu

To get the dolphin 3 off in the first session, use activities preferred time slots.

I think I spot 3 problems in your file:

1) Time off in 4 - you made it 100%. I think you need 90% for the beginning.

2) You make for Dolphin 3 only 2 activities per day?

3) Activity 13 has allowed only slot "t2 Sebastiaan - Dolphin 4". And it seems that from the other constraints of type max occupied even this slot is impossible. If I deactivate activities 8 and 10 (the first activities in the initial order, then comes 13), the timetable is possible. So I guess you made an error here.

I advise you to do a progressive approach - add constraints a few at a time.

PS: Maybe you could name your input files differently, so we don't mix them.