FET works better with Gnu/Linux?

Started by Omar Ben Ali, August 21, 2018, 04:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omar Ben Ali

Is it normal that FET under GNU/Linux manages to give me a timetable about 1h 46 mn while under WINDOWS10, I give it more than 3h 40 mn without succeeding.
Is that FET is better optimized with GNU/Linux than with WINDOWS10 ?

Liviu Lalescu

On my computer GNU/Linux finishes in 33 seconds, and under Windows in 44 seconds for the same file and same starting random seed. So it is 25% faster on GNU/Linux.

You need to start with the same FET version, same file, and same starting random seed to compare the behavior.

Omar Ben Ali

I have started with the same data  file, the same version of Fet but not the same seed of random number generator.
But every time I feel that FET under Linux is faster.

Liviu Lalescu

On average it is 25% faster. But why don't you use the same random seed?

Omar Ben Ali

Because I didn't know it's important.

Liviu Lalescu

It's important only if you want to obtain the same behavior on both systems, so you can compare exactly.

Omar Ben Ali

Quote from: Liviu Lalescu on August 21, 2018, 06:17:25 PM
It's important only if you want to obtain the same behavior on both systems, so you can compare exactly.

Thank you Liviu. Now I know it's important. I read that
"The random seed before the generation of a timetable (the X and Y components) is saved on disk in the corresponding timetables directory, so that you can simulate again the same generation after that."

Liviu Lalescu

You are welcome :)   You can report us the exact times for the same random seeds on GNU/Linux and Windows, on a simulation that finishes correctly.

Omar Ben Ali

Quote from: Liviu Lalescu on August 21, 2018, 07:03:03 PM
You are welcome :)   You can report us the exact times for the same random seeds on GNU/Linux and Windows, on a simulation là finishes correctly.
Ok no problem.
Maybe you can start a new topic in the adequate part of the forum where users of fet under windows and Gnu/ linux could report us theirs comparisons.

Liviu Lalescu

You are my guest to start such a topic :)  Where you consider best.

Omar Ben Ali

Quote from: Liviu Lalescu on August 22, 2018, 07:51:51 PM
You are my guest to start such a topic :)  Where you consider best.
Ok thank you.