Author Topic: Keeping a teacher free on specific days  (Read 203 times)

ChicagoPianoTuner

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Keeping a teacher free on specific days
« on: June 05, 2017, 06:09:29 AM »
Hi again.

I have a ten-day week (Mo1, Tu1,...Fr2). I have a teacher who only teaches part time (6 days over the two-week cycle). I want to ensure that, of the four days she doesn't teach, two are each week, and they're the same day of the week. So, for example, she needs to be free Mo1, Th1, Mo2, Th2, or Tu1, Wed1, Tu2, Wed2. Which specific days she works do not matter.

My current solution is to assign four day's worth of dummy activities to the teacher with no student group. Force each day's worth of activities to be in the same day using set of activities has the same starting day (any hour), then choosing one activity from day 1 and one activity from day 2 and setting min days between = 5 and max days = 5. Same thing with day 3 and day 4. I am not sure how efficient this solution is from FET's point of view.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 06:22:47 AM by ChicagoPianoTuner »

Volker Dirr

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping a teacher free on specific days
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 12:40:55 PM »
it might speedup if you try to place those pseudo activities first of all.
set them first at:
fet -> advanced -> group activities ...

maybe run some (at least 10 or more) tests and let us know if that speedup.

ChicagoPianoTuner

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 05:53:03 PM »
Yes, placing the free activities earlier in generation sped it up. As a matter of fact, doing so was essential to a successful generation.

Volker Dirr

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 10:01:49 AM »
thank you for feedback! in fact that is logical, but the current version doesn't care about it. we should rewrite the sorting some day.

ChicagoPianoTuner

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 07:54:09 AM »
I have found that for my timetable, I have to make a lot of changes to the placements of the initial order of activities. Specifically, when I use dummy activities, I need to group the dummy activities with the activity I relate them to. Also, sometimes, if I have a teacher who has a lot of activities in the very beginning of generation and a few at the very end, sometimes the ones at the end are impossible to place and I need to group them all together.

FET will never be perfect in this regard, of course. I just expect that I have to make adjustments based on my familiarity with my specific timetable.