Author Topic: Export view teacher time horizontal in file cvs  (Read 201 times)

Valdo

• Level 3
  • I Love Free Software!
    • View Profile
Export view teacher time horizontal in file cvs
« on: July 27, 2017, 05:56:05 AM »
If you created a view teacher time horizontal, then it's so hard to export it to a csv file.  :-[

This option would solve all issues related to, for example, export in excel or any spreadsheet.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 02:45:09 PM by Valdo »

Volker Dirr

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: Export view teacher time horizontal in file cvs
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 06:20:35 AM »
You are right. it is hard/impossible to export. Because valid csv files have  got a FIXED number of columns. But if i export that table, than it won't have a fixed number. So it will only a very special csv file for your school. All other schools can't use it if they use similar csv tools.
Maybe you misunderstood what csv is. Maybe give me an example how it should look like in your example, since i can't see a csv example in the link that you attached.
There is already csv export of the timetable. You can import that and display it as you want (there are tons of views and you requested just a very special one; needed by your schools; but other schools want to have other views; i can't code for every school it's own pseudo csv file).
If you want to just open them with excel, than just open the html file. Excel can open html files.
But maybe attach a csv file example. maybe i misunderstood.

Valdo

• Level 3
  • I Love Free Software!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 07:11:47 AM »
I intend a simply text file with separator.
Example:

Teacher, monday 1, monday 2, monday 3
Rossi, 1A, , 2A, ......

You do not need a fixed number, just a list equal to view.

There is already csv export of the timetable
Where?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:36:06 AM by Valdo »

Valdo

• Level 3
  • I Love Free Software!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 07:22:51 AM »
CSV (comma delimited)

The CSV (comma delimited) file format saves only the text and values as they are displayed in cells of the active worksheet. All rows and all characters in each cell are saved. Columns of data are separated by commas, and each row of data ends in a carriage return. If a cell contains a comma, the cell contents are enclosed in double quotation marks.

If cells display formulas instead of formula values, the formulas are converted as text. All formatting, graphics, objects, and other worksheet contents are lost.

Try to open the file with normal text editor.
Only this; separators can be different, but nothing more.

Volker Dirr

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 08:43:49 AM »
1. Timetable is already exported: FET -> Data -> Export

2. Your sample has got several problems:
a) the number of columns is not fixed. So this is not a valid csv file. It is just a "pseudo" csv. Please check how commercial guys do csv file. For example timetablesoftware gp-untis. They also do it with fixed columns like it is already implemented in FET. It is needed that it is fixed. Because of several reasons. One reason is that other tools will get problems to get the number of hours per day and days per week if the number is not fixed. (for example if there are 31 columns, than you can't know if there is a five days week with 6 hours per day OR if there is a 6 days week with 5 hours per day).
b) your sample haven't got text quotes. So it will be bad as soon as a name contain "," (And there several guys using a "," between last name and first name of the teachers)
c) what about rooms and activity tags. other guys will complain if that is missing.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:15:17 AM by Volker Dirr »

Volker Dirr

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 08:52:00 AM »
Also 3:
Why don't you just import the HTML files into excel if you don't understand how to use the csv file? Ok, look like you want to delete the table of content, rooms and activities; That take 1 or 2 minutes work. You also want to change the style, that takes maybe around 5-10 minutes work. If you are clever, than you record a macro. So you will never need to do all that changes manually again. You will just import an other/new html file later and restart the macro; so you will get a "perfect styled" result in less than 1 second.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:05:26 AM by Volker Dirr »

Valdo

• Level 3
  • I Love Free Software!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 09:53:55 AM »
Let's talk about files that can all use (secretarials, etc.) to easily view, manipulate and print.
The best option is a spreadsheet: excel, openoffice, numbers, libreoffice ecc.

1. Timetable is already exported: FET -> Data -> Export

It is not practical

2. Your sample has got several problems:
a) the number of columns is not fixed. So this is not a valid csv file. It is just a "pseudo" csv. Please check how commercial guys do csv file. For example timetablesoftware gp-untis. They also do it with fixed columns like it is already implemented in FET. It is needed that it is fixed. Because of several reasons. One reason is that other tools will get problems to get the number of hours per day and days per week if the number is not fixed. (for example if there are 31 columns, than you can't know if there is a five days week with 6 hours per day OR if there is a 6 days week with 5 hours per day).
b) your sample haven't got text quotes. So it will be bad as soon as a name contain "," (And there several guys using a "," between last name and first name of the teachers)
c) what about rooms and activity tags. other guys will complain if that is missing.

The classic view of a timetable...... we know it... no FET -> Data -> Export!
FET docet, there are a menu -> Timetable view ......
Who looks at them is interested in these views. How can I have the same editable view as it likes?
Forget the cvs file.
A delimited text file is very powerful and all the spreadsheets are able to import it.

Now the question is:
Is possible add, in window view, a button export for a file text.
What I see is export and instead of rows and columns there are separators.

Html is too uncomfortable! too many problems.
I use "Fet_import_in_excel_ver_1.0" modified and I have no big problems.

I just think this feature, for FET, might be interesting (Probably wrong).

English is obviously not my native language.
I'm fatigued to write what I think. >:(

Volker Dirr

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 12:35:22 PM »
You can import the html files with excel, libreoffice, ... So about what problem do you talk? If you don't like the style, then just modify it ONE time and record a macro. Than you can ALWAYS use that macro to get YOUR perfect style.

You suggestions have got a lot of problems:
-The "," problem.
-The "unknown hours/days" problem.
-The missing rooms.
-The missing tags.
-You still need to style your table, even if you got that csv file. So you still need to change font size, boarders styles, colors, ...
-Coding all styles once again, even already existing in html. (So next guy will ask for days seperated, axis swapped, ...) There is an endless work.

So once again:
1) how to solve all that problems?
2) why don't you import the html files in excel? You can style them and modify like you want there. If you record a macro, then you only need to do it a single time! You just need to press in single button in future! (And as i can see/read you already modified many times the dataset in excel. Why do you deny to do it one more time. You will SAVE A LOT OF WORK if you do it with a macro! If you want to do that manually with a csv file, than you MUST WORK MUCH MORE!

So in my opinion your suggestion is not clever. I guess you just done it because you don't know how to do a macro with excel. I highly suggest to read an excel manual. It is so easy!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:28:34 PM by Volker Dirr »

Liviu Lalescu

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
  • FET author and forum moderator
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 12:49:35 PM »
I will add this suggestion in the TODO but, as Volker said, it is complicated to implement it. I will add this:

328---------------------------------------------------------
From Valdo (on forum):

Export the resulted timetables in time horizontal form.

Volker Dirr

• Forum Administrator
  • Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 01:26:39 PM »
Ok, since some guys don't know how to use Excel and LibreOffice macros i decided to write an short manual for LibreOffice guys (I hope Excel guys will be clever enough to do it similar with Excel if they read that)
see:
http://lalescu.ro/liviu/fet/forum/index.php?topic=3282.0